Friday, February 06, 2009

HSBC Customer Service

I made a trip to the bank this morning to cash a cheque for some filming I did last year but got a little more then I bargained for.

Here's what happened.

When I left for Australia recently I put a freeze on my gym membership until I got back, not that I ever used it much while I was here. Unbeknown to me the gym decided they still wanted me to pay and subsequently direct debited money out of my bank account........ or at least they tried to........... three times.

Each time the transaction was dishonored, but after the 3rd time HSBC closed the account down. Fair enough.

When I went in to find out what I couldn't transfer money and cash my cheque (which I now seemed to have misplaced) I found out that it was closed.

"Well please reopen it so I can do all these things". I said.

The young man informed me that it was not possible to reopen the account because it was closed, before going on to say I wasn't able to ever open an account with HSBC again........ or at least not for 12 months.

"But I've got £1000 sitting in a savings account with you, how do I access that?"

Apparently they could transfer it to another bank account, once I opened one at another bank.

"That's a bit inconvenient." I thought to myself (thoughts have been moderated for this post).

I asked what I could do to the Gym based on the fact they were the cause of this whole thing.

"I would have to check with my Manager" he said, "did you want me to do that?"

Do fat kids like smarties. Do my girls gain weight when I spend time at home.

YES!!!!

"Well," he says on his return, "it turns out that we might be able to do something for you."

Really?!?! I thought I could never open an account ever again. Well don't let me put you out or anything. I wouldn't want you to service a customers needs or anything like that. Shouldn't you be charging people account fee's or denying them finances?

I know your title is customer services manager but I'm sure it doesn't mean you have to help EVERY customer that comes through the doors. But if you insist, sure. Knock yourself out.

We took down a bunch of details and it turned out that yes, I could reopen the account. He even set me up with a better account with less fees. The only catch is that I have to bring in a council bill with my name/address on it and my passport before the account is unfrozen.

"Can I bring it in tomorrow?" I asked, knowing that some of the banks functions are open on a Saturday.

"No, sorry sir. We're not open until Monday." he replied.......... before adding....... "oh, but I'm not in Monday. I'm not back again until Wednesday."

But surely someone else could finish off the process? Surely..........

Surely not apparently. He started it, only he can finish the process off. *cough*pigsarse*cough*

Well at least I left the bank a somewhat satisfied customer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a word for this....what was it?.... ooooooh, it's on the tip of my tongue..... Oh... that's it!!! Unnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnlucky!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'd say you are lucky :) The Gods were smiling upon you. Otherwise Hsbc has the knack for creating problems where none exist . I'm a customer of Hsbc and I'm trying to fathom how they got to being this big with the level of inefficiency and customer dis-regard they consistently display .