Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Open Street Map Visualisation

While travelling I've been very lucky picking navigating my way around different places.

Lately the navigation is thanks to a handy sat nav I picked up in Italy at the beginning on my summer travels through Europe, but prior to that I wasn't quite as current with my technology (and I couldn't afford it).

I relied a lot on Google Maps or Open Street Map to print off maps or directions before we left and follow it as we drove.

Open Street Map is like the wikipedia of road maps and it relies on us to keep in current.

The video below is the growth rate of Open Street Map over a 12 months period, and you can visually understand how quickly contributions can spread around the world.

Go Technology. Go People.


OSM 2008: A Year of Edits from ItoWorld on Vimeo.

No comments: