Thursday, February 22, 2007

Most-premature baby allowed home

BBC NEWS | Americas | Most-premature baby allowed home

This is an absolutely amazing story.

There's a quote in the article "Even though she's only four pounds (1.8kg) now, she's plump to me".

That reminds me about my "niece" who was born about 3 years ago. I quoted niece because she's not actually related to me, but her mum once referred to me as Aunty Justin and it has stuck since then.

She was born 2 months premature and we spent many an hour down in premature ward at the hospital, as much for support for Mum and Dad as to see the baby.

She was still sooooo tiny when they finally got to take her home, but when I look at her now I can't believe how much she's grown. (I secretly call her Cartman, she's turned into such a cute little porker).

Now she's full of life and bounces off walls while another recent edition to my close friends family follows her around the house. During a recent holiday they were inseparable, with the eldest teaching the youngest how to open bathroom doors..... while people are still showering!

We even walked into a bedroom to find them both sitting on the top bunk giggling. At nearly 3 and 1.5 years old they had opened the bedroom door and climbed up the ladder to the top bunk for a play. FREAKED us out, but they were having fun and no one broke a bone (touch wood).

Kids. They're just the best thing in the world. Being a kid was great, and now watching kids as they play and continue to grow is one of the times when I'm happiest in life.

No comments: