Sunday, August 26, 2007

Tulum Ruins

Today is my last day in Mexico.

Well, it's my last full day anyway.

It was an early start this morning to head out to Tulum and check out the ruins on the water.

While I can't fault it for being amazing in it's own right, it was probably my least favourite of all the ruins. It is well set up for tourists which I'm sure is due to its proximity to Cancun. There are no paths off in the jungle to find some ruins, it's all well manicured and right there in front of you.

My favourite part was the colour of the ocean in the below picture, and the paintings which were on the land side of one of the structures. The picture doesn't do it justice, it is amazingly clear in person.


In this particular occasion the Mayan's have put the paint world to shame. A painting that can last hundreds of years exposed to the elements 3 meters from the beach and having hurricanes like Dean pass though........... simply amazing.

No comments: